Carson McDowell is the only firm in Northern Ireland with a dedicated team of lawyers working exclusively on commercial law matters. As such, our Team has an extensive practice area and is able to provide advice across a diverse range of specialisms (see further details below).
The breadth of our Team is such that we can advise on both contentious and non-contentious matters. We can also adopt a variety of approaches to the provision of our services depending on the needs of our clients. For example, for some clients we lead the negotiation of their contracts with third parties on their behalf, whilst for others, we support them as they do so on their own behalf. Some clients want advice on putting bespoken template agreements in place and training for their personnel in the proper use of those templates. Others simply want an ad hoc advisory service with someone at the end of the phone with whom they can discuss random commercial queries as and when required.
Our flexible approach to the provision of our services means that we advises a broad range of clients (from small start-up businesses to medium-sized enterprises and large well-known companies) across multiple sectors (public and private) and as a team, we are well known for having a real understanding of our clients’ businesses, how they work, current and future strategies and their relationships with customers, suppliers and partners.
What We Do
The Commercial Team works on a broad spectrum of transactions, from substantial outsourcing, joint ventures and project development agreements to day-to-day manufacture, logistics/warehousing and advertising arrangements.
- Discussing and reviewing key commercial drivers with our clients
- Negotiating and drafting contracts of all kinds
- Advice on standard terms and conditions of sale and purchase as regards goods and/or services
- Advice on E-commerce including the application of the Consumer Rights Act to the sale of goods to consumers online, cookie policies, online privacy policies and website terms or use
- Advice on the data protection aspects of commercial transactions including general advice and assistance on the obligations imposed by the GDPR
- Advising on complex outsourcing agreements
- Advice on distribution, warehousing, consignment and logistics contracts
- Advice on agency and introducer contracts including the application of the Commercial Agent Regulations for both agents and principals alike
- Advice on IT/Software agreements including development agreements, ICT outsourcing and managed service contracts, SAAS and licensing arrangements
- Advising on long term supply agreements
- Advising on manufacturing agreements
- Advising on the protection, exploitation, commercialisation and enforcement of intellectual property rights of all kinds including, knowhow, copyright, trademarks, patents, design rights and including advice on the intellectual property aspects of commercial contracts of various kinds
- Advising on sub-contracts and particularly the pass through of liabilities
- Advice on structures for joint ventures, both corporate and contractual, and the associated agreements
- Advice on research and development agreements in various technology sectors
- Advice on contractual collaborations both as between industrial partners and industrial and educational institutions
- Advice on partnership arrangements of all kinds whether traditional, limited partnerships or limited liability partnerships with particular expertise in advising on GP Partnerships
What Others Say About Us
Chambers and Partners UK 2015
Strengths(Quotes mainly from clients)
"We like their regional focus. They have superb talent and they gave us great service. We hope to work with them again."
The Legal 500 2013
"The partners at Carson McDowell have ‘a wealth of experience’, and are supported by ‘good backroom staff’'."