The Health and Safety Team at Carson McDowell are leaders in this specialist area in Northern Ireland. Many of our solicitors have qualified and are admitted in England and Wales in addition to Northern Ireland and are able to advise your business seamlessly across these legal jurisdictions.
Our team is skilled in providing 24/7 crisis response in relation to investigations by the Health and Safety Executive, local authorities and the Police. We understand, first hand, the pressures that this can place on organisations and our aim is to assist at every step of the internal and external investigation, long in advance of any criminal or civil Court process. We have advised businesses and individuals in relation to interviews, wide-ranging requests for documents, service of improvement and prohibition notices as well as assisting in the management of communications at a time of media interest.
With the benefit of experience from advising at the coal-face when it has gone wrong, our team is well-placed to provide health and safety compliance advice to your business or organisation. We understand the move to simpler application of health and safety law; therefore our aim is to offer sound, commercial legal advice that is sensible and pragmatic. We can answer your compliance queries, undertake policy reviews and conduct legal audits to help you proactively test your legal compliance. We also regularly conduct detailed health and safety due diligence in the context of corporate or property transactions.
We have considerable experience of providing health and safety legal training, and have provided such training, to clients in high risk industries locally. This could range from a short reminder session for your workforce on basic health and safety legal duties, through to half or full day courses on specific areas such as: director’s duties in health and safety, effective crisis management and accident investigations, mock interviews under caution, contractor management, lone working, managing asbestos, corporate manslaughter and driving for work. We would be delighted to work with you to create a bespoke training session that is tailored to your business needs.
Declan Magee, Partner, Head of Health and Safety Team
Ashleigh Birkett, Associate
Olivia Carroll, Associate
Jacqueline McAleese, Partner
Francesca Lowry, Associate
What we do:
Our team members’ experience includes:
- Handling a wide range of significant health and safety investigations for companies across a broad range of sectors including food manufacturing, industrial engineering, retail and leisure, waste and energy companies and commercial landlords. Involvement has been from when the incident occurs right through to conclusion of the court procedure;
- 24/7 crisis response including attendance at a nursing home following the death of a resident and a metal recycling facility following the death of delivery driver; support in a large-scale investigation following an explosion;
- Advising an energy company following a number of workplace fatalities amongst its workforce;
- Advising a pub operator in relation to various health and safety investigations and prosecutions at its premises;
- Advising and representing clients in relation to inquests; and
- Advising and representing individuals as witnesses and those suspected of having committed an offence in their individual capacity.
are members and sponsors of the Northern Ireland Safety Group as well as IOSH
and the Health and Safety Lawyer’s Association.
To download our Health and Safety Brochure please click here.