Carson McDowell has a team of highly experienced lawyers specialising in public procurement. The team is experienced in all aspects of public procurement law and advises public and private sector entities on all aspects of the EU and UK public procurement rules.
The team has experience in advising on a wide range of procurement matters from the procurement of large infrastructure projects including PPP/PFI, to addressing queries that arise from the day-to-day management of smaller procurements. The team has a consistent track record in advising clients on the enforcement of the public procurement rules, both in defending and initiating procurement challenges. Northern Ireland has experienced an upsurge in public procurement cases as private entities grow increasingly aware of legal remedies in this area. Carson McDowell LLP has been at the forefront of this development.
The team is one of the few specifically dedicated procurement law teams in Northern Ireland and comprises:
Declan Magee, Partner, Head of Procurement Team
Niamh McGuckin, Solicitor, Procurement
What We Do
- Advising on the application of the UK Procurement Regulations and Guidance, the EU Directives, EU and UK case law and on any issues arising as a result of these
- Guiding clients through all steps of the procurement process, from the initial advertisement through to debriefing of unsuccessful tenderers
- Drafting all tender and contract documentation
- Drafting, and advising on, scoring matrixes, selection and award criteria and weightings
- Defending or initiating a challenge in relation to an award process
- Making, or responding to, Freedom of Information requests in relation to an award process
- Evaluation of procurement procedures to check compliance with EU and UK public procurement rules
- Training on all aspects of the EU and UK public procurement rules, including regular client briefings on recent developments
What Others Say About Us
Chambers and Partners UK 2016 (Band 1)
What the team is known for
Regularly advises on non-contentious matters, such as compliance, as well as procurement challenges. Diverse client base includes public sector clients, utility companies and housing associations.
Strengths (Quotes mainly from clients)
"In Northern Ireland, they offer one of the best, if not the best response, to any public or private client with a procurement issue."
"The team performance was really good, particularly their practical approach."
Advised Northern Ireland Electricity on procurement issues relating to a contractor going into administration.
Defended Translink in a challenge concerning electrical testing and maintenance contracts.
The "excellent" Declan Magee has "huge experience in dispute resolution" and "knows the industry," according to sources. He regularly leads on procurement disputes.
Significant clients RTÉ, PI Communications, Helm Housing Association, Southern Regional College, Northstone.