Are you ready for the new General Data Protection Regulations?
16 January 2017
The new Regulation will most likely become effective before the UK exits the EU. This means that regardless of the form of exit finally adopted, you’ll need to be ready.
Things you need to know:
- It applies to all those processing the personal data of EU citizens.
- You need to be compliant by May 2018.
- Appointing a Data Protection Officer will be mandatory for some companies.
- You will need evidence of consent from those whose personal data you are processing.
- Privacy Impact Accessments will be mandatory for certain types of activity.
- You won’t be able to charge for subject access requests so these are likely to increase
- There will be an obligation to notify certain data breaches to the Regulator and affected individuals.
- You will need to be aware of the new “right to be forgotten”
- Data processors will now be liable as well as data controllers.
For further advice or information please contact a member of the Commercial Team on +44 (0)28 9024 4951.