Carson McDowell’s EU and competition team provides both contentious and non-contentious advice to clients on all aspects of competition law, sector regulation and other areas of EU law. The team’s comprehensive experience and wide-ranging expertise is unmatched in Northern Ireland.
Specialist areas of expertise include merger control law, cartels, abuse of dominance, competition investigations, state aid, energy, transport, and bribery law.
What we do
- UK, Irish and EU merger control
- Competition issues relating to all types of commercial contracts
- Abuse of dominance issues, including refusals to supply
- Pricing issues
- Competition compliance, including bespoke compliance programmes and training seminars
- Competition enforcement, including dawn raids and leniency programmes
- Complaints to competition authorities and regulators
- Parallel trade issues
- State aid, including investigations into the alleged existence of State aid, procedural issues and complaints to the European Commission regarding State aid granted to third parties
- Free movement of persons, goods, services and capital
- General EU Law, including food labelling legislation, product liability legislation, the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive and the Services Directive
- European Convention of Human Rights
- Bribery law, including risk assessment, drafting of bespoke compliance programmes and training seminars
- Advising parties on court proceedings relating to EU and competition law, including judicial review cases
What Others Say About Us
Chambers UK 2021
What the team is known for
Market-leading team particularly respected for merger clearance matters. Works closely with the firm's highly regarded litigation department to represent defendants in high-profile competition disputes, particularly in the area of cartel follow-on damages claims. Also advises clients on competition compliance matters, such as exclusivity agreements and non-compete obligations. Particularly active for clients from the food and consumer goods industries. Assists clients with the competition law implications of Brexit.
Advised the shareholders of Autoline Insurance Group on the competition aspects of the company's sale to Prestige Insurance Holdings.