Carson McDowell’s intellectual property team provides both contentious and non-contentious advice to clients on all aspects of intellectual property protection and exploitation. As such it has substantial expertise dealing with the intellectual property issues arising not only in a transactional and advisory context, but also in the litigation of matters relating to protection and infringement of intellectual property.
Our team's advice covers a comprehensive spectrum of intellectual property rights, both registered and unregistered, including: copyright, design rights, trademarks, patents, knowhow and commercially sensitive information.
Specialist areas of expertise include the licensing of intellectual property, along with the prosecution and defence of patent infringement proceedings. The team's long standing relationship with the local universities also means it has considerable expertise across a number of technology sectors.
What we do
- Advising on organisational policies and procedures for the management of intellectual property
- Undertaking intellectual property audits
- Conducting intellectual property due diligence in corporate transactions
- Assisting with the registration of trademarks
- Providing trademark portfolio management services
- Instigating and assisting with trademark invalidation and revocation proceedings
- Advising on the transfer of ownership of intellectual property of all kinds
- Advice on the licensing of intellectual property both to and from third parties and intra group arrangements
- Advice on appropriate forms of licensing arrangement in the context of spin out companies
- Advice on the non tax aspects of the Patent Box
- Advising on merchandising, advertising, and the grant of sponsorship rights particularly as regards sporting events
- Advice on the management of business information and commercially sensitive information protection
- Advice on the intellectual property issues arising in the context of APP development
- Instigating and defending High court proceedings for the protection of intellectual property of all kinds
- Advising as to strategies for protecting intellectual property from infringement without recourse to legal proceedings and particularly conducting negotiations between parties involved in the intellectual property disputes including drafting undertakings that will form the basis of any settlement
- Advising on appropriate means of protecting unregistered intellectual property rights from infringement – passing off actions
- Generally advising on copyright, patents, knowhow, trademarks and design rights
What Others Say About Us
Chambers and Partners UK 2019
What the team is known for
Prestigious full-service IT firm covering all areas of technology law. Offers comprehensive support for contentious and commercial matters. Expert in cross-jurisdictional work, including direct foreign investment for large companies investing in Irish technology.
A client says: "They helped me implement a new software package and they did it really well."
Advised Northern Ireland Electricity Networks on an ICT infrastructure procurement and associated regulatory compliance issues.
Dawn McKnight is noted for her expertise acting for both suppliers and customers of technology products and services.
The Legal 500 2018
What the team is known for
Carson McDowell’s IP expertise ranges from M&A related IP work to patent agreements, infringements, licensing rights, software protection, and ownership management.
The team is advising Independent News and Media on expanding its trade mark portfolio by registering new marks to protect its existing brands as part of its IP activities in Northern Ireland.
Assisted biopharmaceutical company SiSaf with entering into a patent and know-how licence agreement with another biopharmaceutical entity for developing plaque psoriasis treatment drugs through using SiSaf’s IPR.
The group’s client base includes IT and technology companies, healthcare entities, educational bodies, energy companies, infrastructure providers, and retailers. The firm acts for US technology company Xilinx, the University of Ulster, and Firmus Energy.