Carson McDowell has a team of highly experienced lawyers specialising in all aspects of public procurement. Whether you are a purchaser in the public sector, procure contracts in the utilities sector or bid for these types of contracts, we can help.
We are a dedicated procurement law team based in Northern Ireland, but advising throughout the UK. We support our clients across a wide range of procurement matters, from strategic planning and conduct of the procurement process, to resolving disputes. Our clients rely on us for our expertise, innovative approach and pragmatic advice.
What we do
- Acting for NIE Networks in its c.£80 million procurement for ICT managed services, conducted in accordance with the Utilities Contacts Regulations 2016 and advising on all aspects of a procurement relating to a multimillion-pound overhead transmission lines framework.
- Advising Ulster University in relation to a wide variety of high value and strategically important procurement processes, conducted in accordance with the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
- Advising Southern Regional College on procurement of an integrated design team and a contractor for three new build campuses in accordance with the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
- Acting for Belfast Harbour Commissioners in a number of procurement exercises for the purchase of strategically important and high value operational equipment, IT systems, and construction and engineering works.
- Advising a number of Northern Irish housing associations on issues such as material variation, use of the “Teckal” exemption, development agreements, and design and build contracts.
- Advising a local construction company on the award of a significant infrastructure project in England.
- Delivering bespoke procurement law training to a number of utility and public sector clients.
What Others Say About Us
Chambers UK 2021
What the team is known for
Trusted advisers for a number of public and private organisations from the housing, education, utilities, and defence sectors. Assists with tender documentation, bids and challenges concerning procurement exercises in and outside of Northern Ireland.
Advised Firmus Energy in relation to various procurement processes, including a £90 million construction and maintenance works and services contract.
"They're commercial and work well with the other parties to find a solution," according to a source.
Declan Magee navigates both public and private-side clients through all stages of procurement challenges. Recent work has been for clients in utilities, transport and construction. One client states: "Declan has great interpersonal skills and a commercial sensibility. He walks the client through the journey and the steps that need to be taken, whether it's fighting to the end or settling."
Kerry Teahan advises public and private sector clients on all facets of the competitive dialogue process and compliance with competition rules. One source described Kerry as, "A straight-talker who is strong in non-contentious procurement matters."