Carson McDowell has developed a multi-disciplinary education team, reflecting the broad section of advice that our education clients require. Our clients range from higher education, further education, schools and education service providers. Our longstanding experience in this sector gives us the ability to provide support in areas such as technology transfer, property and regulatory advice, student/staff discipline, and contracts.
What we do
- Knowledge transfer protection
- Intellectual property recognition and registration
- Support on visitorial and charter issues and governance in the education sector in Northern Ireland
- Educational property matters including support in the development of broad property portfolios for our educational clients
- Advising on the setting and implementation of entrance and award criteria
- Procurement support on capital projects and service contracts
- Copyright and database legal support, in particular in the range of services required of the examination scripts
- Preparing memorandum of understanding for collaborative projects
- Contractual advice and support including contentious support services
- Advising on policy and practice in relation to student discipline
What Others Say About Us
Chambers and Partners UK 2020
What the team is known for
Highly impressive education team consisting of a number of specialists in related disciplines, including employment, construction and corporate work. Particularly well versed in real estate matters, including the development of student accommodation facilities. Routinely assists high-profile education clients with technology deals, as well as regulatory and contractual matters. Acts for major universities, as well as numerous further education institutions and schools across Northern Ireland.
A client describes the group as "professional and reassuring," adding: "We were extremely satisfied with the level of representation received and the outcomes received."
Another client reveals that "work is delivered to a high standard and quality by expert staff."
Assisted Belfast Metropolitan College with a review of the lease arrangements for all aspects of its campus, ensuring that all documents were in accordance with current requirements.
Orlagh O'Neill is noted for her ability in discrimination claims, as well as disputes involving the discipline of students. Sources say: "She's professional, reassuring and provides a great personal touch which clients really appreciate."