Carson McDowell has developed a multi-disciplinary education team, reflecting the broad section of advice that our education clients require. Our clients range from higher education, further education, schools and education service providers. Our longstanding experience in this sector gives us the ability to provide support in areas such as technology transfer, property and regulatory advice including support including student and staff discipline and contract support.
Declan Magee, Partner, Head of Education Team, Joint Head of Litigation
Michael Johnston, Managing Partner, Corporate and Commercial
Rosemary Carson, Partner, Real Estate
Stuart Murphy, Partner, Head of Construction Team
Dawn McKnight, Partner, Corporate and Commercial
Orlagh O’Neill, Partner, Head of Employment Team
Rachel Penny, Partner, Employment
What we do
- Knowledge Transfer Protection
- Intellectual Property Recognition and Registration
- Support on Visitorial and Charter Issues and Governance in the Education Sector in Northern Ireland
- Educational Property matters including support in the development of broad property portfolios for our educational clients
- Advising on the setting and implementation of entrance and award criteria
- Procurement support on capital projects and service contracts
- Copyright and Database legal support, in particular in the range of services required of the examination scripts
- Preparing memorandum of understanding for collaborative projects
- Contractual advice and support including contentious support services
- Advising on policy and practice in relation to student discipline
What Others Say About Us
Chambers and Partners UK 2016
What the team is known for
Large commercial firm with an enviable spread of clients, including further education colleges and schools. Covers a broad array of work, such as student complaints and property matters.
Strengths(Quotes mainly from clients)
"They are timely, always good at coming back to me, and very knowledgeable. I am very impressed by them."
"Excellent firm. They are very quick to react and have a knack for resolving matters "
Advised South Eastern Regional College on its contract with Reed In Partnership to provide 'Steps 2 Success', a Department for Employment & Learning programme.
Represented Scoil an Droichid, an Irish medium educational institution, on a number of matters including property conveyances and charity law compliance.
Declan Magee is one of the team's key partners.
CCEA, Belfast Metropolitan College, South Eastern Regional College, Belfast Academical Institution, Coleraine Academical Institution.