Carson McDowell is a leading provider of legal services to the energy and renewables sector in Northern Ireland. Our energy and renewables team has been involved in virtually every aspect of the development of the energy sector in Northern Ireland since the privatisation of the electricity industry in 1992. The team has unparalleled industry knowledge and expertise enabling it to act in large corporate transactions as well as advising on sector specific issues. The team brings together corporate, commercial, real estate, construction, finance and dispute resolution lawyers from across Carson McDowell to ensure we provide a full range of services.
Our client base is diverse and includes renewable power generators, financial institutions, government-funded organisations and utilities. Leading clients include ESB Wind Development, SSE, Bord Gais, First Flight Wind, and NIE.
What we do
- Established windfarm projects and developments
- Off-take arrangements, connection agreements, power purchase agreements and turbine supply agreements
- Regulatory, competition, public procurement and European law issues
- The renewables obligation, the climate change levy and emissions trading
- All aspects of the SEM
- Joint ventures, investments, restructuring and share and asset acquisitions and disposals
- Banking and project finance issues including secured and unsecured borrowing and the structuring of bank facilities
- Disputes and representing clients in arbitrations, expert determinations and mediations
- Land acquisitions and disposals
- Planning permissions, consents and environmental issues
What Others Say About Us
Chambers and Partners UK 2016
What the team is known for
Prominent multidisciplinary energy practice with particular expertise in sector transactions and planning issues. A one-stop shop for a number of major renewable energy developers and utilities groups. Additional experience in unconventional gas.
Clients say: "They'll engage directly with the issues and tell it to you straight."
"The firm pulled out all the stops to get everything done for us."
Acted for WH Energy on the development of an anaerobic digestion project, assisting with the establishment of a joint venture and in negotiating engineering, procurement and construction contracts and feed-supply agreements.
Advised Rathlin Energy on plans for the exploration of hydrocarbon resources for fracking in County Antrim.
Neasa Quigley is a prominent corporate lawyer with a focus on the energy sector. Sources are quick to underscore her experience in the renewables space, where she recently assisted Connective Energy with project financing for an anaerobic digestion facility. One client describes Quigley as "outstanding," adding: "She goes way beyond the call of duty on my work."
SONI, firmus, SSE, RES, and TCI Renewables.