Carson McDowell has unrivalled experience in the technology sector, acting for clients both locally and globally. The technology team is an integral part of the firms corporate and commercial practice and has developed close working relationships with tech sector organisations such as NISP and Momentum. The team advises across all aspects of technology related matters from licensing, intellectual property and e-commerce through to the full range of corporate, equity fundraising and M&A transactions. The team's experience in this sector makes us a market leader and our in-depth knowledge of the sector ensures we are familiar with the challenges and dynamic global nature of the fast paced environment in which this sector operates.
What We Do
- Advising on patent and knowhow licences and assignments
- Advising on software development agreements
- Advising on the transfer of ownership of intellectual property of all kinds
- Advice on the non tax aspects of the Patent Box
- Advice on distance selling, e-money, terms of business and domain name issues
- Data protection advice
- Advice on non-disclosure agreements
- Advice on licence agreements, distributor agreements, re-seller agreements and general commercial activities
- Equity and debt funding
- Exit transactions
- Share option schemes and employee incentive and reward schemes
- Instigating and defending High Court proceedings for the protection of intellectual property of all kinds
Tech Sector Tool Kits
We have produced a number of 'Tool Kit' articles to explain some of the important issues for any company operating in the technology sector:
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Brand Management
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Registering a Trademark
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Taxing R&D
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Intellectual Property Rights Overview
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Angel Investment
What Others Say About Us
Chambers UK 2021
What the team is known for
Prestigious full-service IT firm covering all areas of technology law. Offers comprehensive support for contentious and commercial matters. Expert in cross-jurisdictional work, including direct foreign investment for large companies investing in Irish technology.
Clients praise the "commercial and efficient service" provided by the team.
"Their level of engagement and communication is exceptional," a client reports.
Advised STATSports Group on the negotiation of a managed services agreement with Action Point Technology for the provision of cloud services, hosting services, support services and backup monitoring.
The Legal 500 2021
With expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters, Carson McDowell has built up a strong reputation in the market for advising traditional companies on digital transformations, as well as advising tech start-ups on licensing and development issues. Dawn McKnight is the key name of note and advises on IT contracts, hosting agreements and cybersecurity. Peter Guzhar brings another dimension to the practice with his expertise in software patent and copyright disputes.
- STATSports Group
- Vinci Energies UK Holding
- McLernons Computers
- Gig Grafter
- ISDM Solutions
- Tailored Image
- Ulster University and Innovation Ulster
- Evermore Energy
- Department of Finance
- Atos Partners
- Firmus Energy Supply
- Caversham Finance Ltd t/a Brighthouse
- Graphical Data