Carson McDowell has unrivalled experience in the technology sector, acting for clients both locally and globally. The technology team is an integral part of the firms corporate and commercial practice and has developed close working relationships with tech sector organisations such as NISP and Momentum. The team advises across all aspects of technology related matters from licensing, intellectual property and e-commerce through to the full range of corporate, equity fundraising and M&A transactions. The team's experience in this sector makes us a market leader and our in-depth knowledge of the sector ensures we are familiar with the challenges and dynamic global nature of the fast paced environment in which this sector operates.
What We Do
- Advising on patent and knowhow licences and assignments
- Advising on software development agreements
- Advising on the transfer of ownership of intellectual property of all kinds
- Advice on the non tax aspects of the Patent Box
- Advice on distance selling, e-money, terms of business and domain name issues
- Data protection advice
- Advice on non-disclosure agreements
- Advice on licence agreements, distributor agreements, re-seller agreements and general commercial activities
- Equity and debt funding
- Exit transactions
- Share option schemes and employee incentive and reward schemes
- Instigating and defending High Court proceedings for the protection of intellectual property of all kinds
Tech Sector Tool Kits
We have produced a number of 'Tool Kit' articles to explain some of the important issues for any company operating in the technology sector:
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Brand Management
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Registering a Trademark
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Taxing R&D
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Intellectual Property Rights Overview
- Tech Sector Tool Kit: Angel Investment
What Others Say About Us
Chambers and Partners UK 2016
What the team is known for
Highly esteemed IP practice recommended for contentious and non-contentious matters involving all core IP rights. Known for its exceptional handling of licensing engineering technologies.
One client said: "They are highly informative and knowledgeable."
Advised Creative Composites on a framework agreement licensing the client's magnetic resonance tomography to medical technology company, the TRUMPF Group.
Assisted software developer Graphical Data on a supply and service agreement with Arqiva.
Declan Magee is well known for his experience in disputes concerning all major IP rights. Recent instructions include a patent litigation claim on behalf of a global electronics company.
Dawn McKnight concentrates on non-contentious matters with a special focus on the technology sector. She has extensive experience in copyright, trade mark and licensing work of all kinds.
Schrader Electronics, Fane Valley, CDE Global, Funky Monkey Playcentres, and McCloskey International.
The Legal 500 2015
Carson McDowell's client base includes large operators and start-up businesses. Dawn McKnight advised Graphical Data on a number of matters, including a potential venture capital investment and on standard contractual terms and conditions in the context of supplying software as a service. Neasa Quigley is also recommended.