Anna Kirwan - Associate
Key Practice Areas
- +44 (0) 28 9034 8808
- +353 (0) 858 685 288
Anna Kirwan attained a degree in English Literature (BA hons) from Lancaster University in 2004. She then obtained a Masters in English Literature (MA) in 2005, before attending the College of Law, York to undertake her GDL/LPC law conversion. Having trained with RadcliffesLeBrasseur in Leeds.
Anna qualified as a solicitor in 2009 and then spent several years working in boutique, Legal 500 Plaintiff firms, specialising in both medical and dental negligence claims. In 2014, Anna joined a large medical defence organisation where she worked in house for a number of years, specialising in defending dental claims.
Anna joined Carson McDowell’s Dublin office in 2019, where she continues to work with dental defence organisations, assisting dentists and dental practitioners, primarily in relation to claims in Ireland.
Anna is qualified in England and Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
The Healthcare team at Carson McDowell is the largest Healthcare team in Ireland and is widely recognised as a leader in Chambers UK and The Legal 500.
Anna’s breadth of experience includes:
Clinical Negligence Claims (Defence)
- Defending clinical negligence claims on behalf of general dental practitioners, hygienists, endodontic specialists, maxillo-facial and restorative specialists, in private practice on the instructions of their dental defence organisations;
- Providing risk management advice to GP surgeries, including complaints handling and data protection advice; and
- Defending claims including delayed / misdiagnosis of various conditions, including various types of cancer; birth injuries; bowel injuries; alleged sub-standard care pertaining to orthopaedic injuries; ophthalmic injuries; spinal injuries; obstetric and gynaecological injuries.
Clinical Negligence Claims (Plaintiff)
Anna also has a varied range of experience in managing a range of cases for Plaintiffs, including:
- Wrongful extraction claims; orthodontic claims; endodontic claims; substandard implant treatment / placement; and
- Delayed diagnoses of various orthopaedic injuries, including scaphoid fractures, anterior cruciate ligament injuries, metatarsal fractures; obstetric and gynaecological injury claims, including cerebral palsy and Erb’s palsy birth injuries; surgical error claims; delayed diagnosis of cancer claims; infection claims, including necrotising fasciitis; and cosmetic injury claims, including rhinoplasty and implant claims.
Anna also has experience in dealing with Inquests and Regulatory (GMC/GDC) matters.