Damian McElholm - Partner
Key Practice Areas
- +44 7581 024 023
Damian joined the Banking & Finance department in January 2022 from an international law firm operating in the local market where he led its recently established banking offering in Northern Ireland.
Damian has developed considerable experience across a number of prominent sectors such as renewable energy, social housing and real estate from a banking and finance perspective.He regularly acts for a variety of key stakeholders in large value and complex real estate finance, leveraged finance, project finance and general corporate lending matters.He also has significant experience in debt restructuring, security enforcement strategies and loan sale transactions.
Recent transactions which Damian has advised on include:
- Acted for a global institutional investor in the local law aspects relating to the financing of a significant portfolio of retail parks located throughout the UK
- Advised an alternative finance provider in respect of acquisition finance facilities advanced to assist with the acquisition of a local digital growth consultancy firm
- Acted for a global financial institution in relation to a consensual loan enforcement strategy involving a major real estate investment asset located in NI
- Advised Barclays Bank PLC’s NI corporate team in relation to a number of secured debt transactions relating to the healthcare and tourism sectors
- Acted for one of Europe’s leading privately owned banks on a LMA based facility agreement and related finance documentation in respect of its cross-border financing of 1.36 GWp of pre-development solar projects located throughout the UK and Ireland
- Advised a prominent NI based financial institution on the NI banking and finance aspects of a sponsor’s disposal of its interests in a large scale on-shore windfarm in County Antrim to a private equity firm
- Acted for a real estate debt fund in the provision of separate acquisition facilities to SPV nominee companies to assist with the purchases of prominent NI retail parks
- Advised a private equity debt provider on the facility agreement and related finance documents required to facilitate the share acquisition of a SPV entity owning a prominent hotel and office investment asset in Belfast city centre
- Acted for the private rented sector subsidiary of a major NI housing association in relation to its first private debt financing with a local financial institution to enable it to progress its growth and investment plans
Damian McElholm's lender and borrower capabilities attract the attention of clients and peers alike. He is recommended for a broad range of work, from project and property finance to acquisition funding. "His advice is commercial, it is spot-on, and when there are stumbling blocks he tells us the best route to take."
"He has knowledge and expertise, he provides a swift turnaround and he is contactable."