Emma Cooper - Partner
Emma Cooper graduated from the University of Exeter with a degree in Law (LLB Honours) in 1999 and completed the Legal Practitioners Course at the College of Law, Guildford the following year. Emma joined Herbert Smith in London where she trained and qualified as a solicitor practicing in England and Wales. In 2002, Emma obtained dual qualification in Northern Ireland and joined Carson McDowell’s Real Estate team as a solicitor before becoming a partner in 2010. Emma continues to practice in Northern Ireland, England and Wales.
Emma has specialist real estate experience and exclusively advises on commercial property matters in Northern Ireland, England and Wales. Emma has particular experience in respect of site assembly, acquisitions and disposals, leasing, funding and mixed and residential developments. Additionally, Emma provides specialist property advice to the energy and renewable team of Carson McDowell.
Emma’s clients range for residential and commercial property developers, property funds and investors and large property owners including public bodies, councils and education providers. Emma’s clients include the Belfast Harbour Commissions, Castlebrooke Investments, Blue Horizon, Specsavers, and Northstone.
Notable transactions include:
- Advising PWC as tenant with respect to the acquisition of 230,000 sq. ft. Grade A office space at Merchant Square, Belfast, comprising the largest ever letting in Northern Ireland;
- Advising Belfast Harbour Commissioners with respect to the acquisition of the landmark building, The Obel, Belfast for a sum in excess of £15m;
- Advising Belfast Harbour Commissioners in respect of the development and leasing matters at Titanic Quarter including the letting of 13,000 sq. ft. of offices at City Quays 1 and 2 to tenants including TYSYS, ITV, Baker McKenzie and Aflac, the development and letting of Kings Works to Amazon and ongoing leisure and hotel projects;
- Advising Lightsource BP with respect to the acquisition of a significant solar portfolio from Harworth Group Plc situated throughout England and Wales;
- Advising Lagan Investments with respect to the real estate aspects of the funding of the 213,000 sq. ft. office development at Bedford Square, Belfast; and
- Advising key stakeholders with respect to the development of leisure and retail interests throughout Northern Ireland.
The 2021 Chambers UK guide states: "Emma Cooper regularly acts for investors and developers on significant acquisitions and site assembly matters. Her clients span the public and private sectors." One source added: "She understands the client's perspective and requirements."
The Legal 500 UK 2021 guide recognises Emma as a key member of the Real Estate team, with a strong focus on the energy sector.