Grant McBurney - Partner
Grant has been a member of the planning and environmental law team within Carson McDowell since 2005, qualifying as a solicitor in September 2007.
Grant is one of the few solicitors in Northern Ireland to specialise exclusively in the areas of planning and environmental law. In particular Grant advises on waste and contaminated land matters within the team, renewable energy projects as well as providing planning and environmental due diligence support to the corporate team.
Grant's experience over the past 5 years includes:
- Advising an investment trust on the acquisition and disposal of a landfill and material recovery facility situated in Northern Ireland
- Advising clients with regard to a biomass energy plant
- Provision of advices to a number of clients operating in the waste recycling sector, including advices relating to acquisition or ongoing regulation pursuant to a waste management license and/or PPC permit
- Representation of Sandale Developments Limited in their multiple successful judicial reviews, including successful grounds of challenge relating to the Habitats and EIA directive
- Representing and advising Belfast Office Properties Limited in their acquisition of a £50m extension to Ards Shopping Centre
- Provision of advices relating to the acquisition by Belfast Office Properties Limited of 10,000 sq metres of addition retail floor space via a certificate of lawful development application
- Advising International PLC Resources Company on planning and environmental regulatory matters relating to ongoing prospecting for gold
- Providing due diligence support for the acquisition and disposal of a number of operational and consented wind farm sites in Northern Ireland
- Provision of advices to the successful bidder for the crown estate license to develop a major off shore wind farm in the Irish Sea
- Acting for clients in the Chancery Court relating to significant contamination of a recycling facility in Northern Ireland
- Defending clients with respect to noise abatement notices served by the Local District Council against their motor sport circuit
- Assisting Gary McGhee in the provision of advices and representation of Tesco Stores Limited at both public inquiry and judicial review
- Assisting Gary McGhee in the provision of advices to Belfast International Airport relating to its existing land holdings and opposition to the expansion of GBBCA
- Defending proceedings in the Chancery Court relating to a Private Streets Agreement
Grant is a member of the Environmental and Planning Law Association of Northern Ireland, sitting on its committee and is a member of the UK Environmental Law Association. Grant is also a corporate member of Quarry Products Association for Northern Ireland.
In the Chambers 2017 Guide, Grant attracts praise for "the work he does and the time he devotes" to his clients. Sources know him to be "a very strong associate" in this area, as demonstrated by his expert handling of renewable energy and waste project planning matters.